Your laptop generates a lot of heat while it’s on, and this heat can damage some of its components. The fan works to prevent this by cooling off the CPU, and it is a very important part of your laptop for this reason. However, sometimes the fan might be a bit too loud. That can be annoying for some, especially if you are working on a project and the noise keeps distracting you.
One thing that many people don’t know is that you can turn your laptop fan off quite easily. Before you do this, you should know that it should only be done if necessary, and you shouldn’t leave the fan off for too long. That said, we have outlined a few different ways to turn the fan off below. Note that some of them might require special tools because you would need to disassemble your laptop to implement them.
There are also some ways to prevent overheating your laptop without disassembling it. Check out our guide on, How to Fix Overheating Laptop Without Taking it Apart.
1. Bios Method
You can control every piece of hardware in your laptop through your BIOS. It’s the firmware that initializes the hardware when your computer is booting up. Here are the steps you need to follow in this method:
- You can only access BIOS when your computer is booting up initially. There is no way to access it while your main operating system is running. Hence, you should restart your computer if it is already on or turn it on to start this process while it is shut down.
- Every laptop gives you a key that you can press to enter BIOS while it is booting. It’s usually one of the function keys, so try pressing F2, F8, F10, or F12 and see if it takes you to the BIOS menu. Some laptops require the ESC key to enter BIOS.
- Enter “Advanced Settings“. Some laptops might have a different menu, so select either “CPU” or “Hardware Monitor” if you can’t see Advanced Settings.
- You will see a range of options in the Advanced Settings menu. One of them would pertain to your laptop fan. It will either be called “Fan Configuration”, “Smart Fan Configuration” or “Fan Settings”. You can select any option that references your fan.
- Open the dropdown list in these settings. Select the “Disabled” option. Make sure you save your settings before exiting BIOS and then start your computer normally. Your fan should remain off until you enable it from BIOS once again.
There is another way to turn your fan off through BIOS. Follow these steps to complete this process:
- Open the Start menu. You can do this by tapping the Windows key on your keyboard or by clicking on the Windows icon, which would be on the leftmost corner of your taskbar.
- Click on the gear-shaped icon. It should be right above the power button in your start menu. It will take you to Settings.
- Once in settings, go to Windows Updates and Security. Enter the Recovery section before completing the next step.
- You will notice a dropdown menu named “Advanced Start-Up”. Click on this to open the dropdown menu, then select “Restart Now”. After this, you will see an option that allows you to troubleshoot. Click on troubleshoot before proceeding.
- Go to “Advanced Options” and click on the option that says “UEFI Firmware Settings”. It would be best if you restarted your laptop after selecting this option.
- Enter the BIOS menu by tapping the relevant key. Then enter Advanced Settings or whatever option your laptop is showing to you.
- Enter Smart Fans and disable them. Restart your computer.
2. Disconnect Fan From the Motherboard
You don’t have to disable your fan through the BIOS. Disconnecting it from the motherboard is the most effective way to turn it off. Bear in mind that this method is challenging to reverse. The benefit of BIOS disabling is that it allows you to enable your fan with ease, but with a hardware approach like this one, you will have to follow a lot more steps to get your fan running again. Without further ado, here are the steps needed to disconnect your fan:
- Turn your laptop off completely. You also need to make sure you disconnect it from any power sources. Otherwise, there is a risk of electric shock while you handle specific components.
- Remove all screws from your laptop’s base. Once you have removed the screws, pop the base off to expose the motherboard and other components.
- You can see the fan quite quickly once you remove the base cover. Try to locate a wire that’s connected to the fan.
- The wire is the fan’s power source. Disconnect it very gently. Excessive pressure could damage the wire and prevent your fan from working correctly in the future. Your fan won’t turn on once this step is complete. Reconnect it if you want to start using it again.
3. Power Management Method
Your laptop’s fan uses power, so you can turn it off by managing your power use settings. Follow these steps to do so:
- Tap the Windows and X key at the same time. Hold them down to open the Quick Access menu.
- Click on the Control Panel option in the menu. Click on Hardware and Sound, followed by Power Options.
- Click on Edit Power Settings, and then advanced power settings. You will see Power Options after clicking this option.
- Power Options will show you a list of settings that you can enable or disable. Go to processor power management and select the passive cooling policy. Your fan will become a lot quieter once you enable this setting.
Why Does My Laptop Need a Fan?
Your laptop’s core components often heat up while it’s powered up. That’s because electricity generates heat, and the excessive heat can cause a lot of damage. The fan helps to cool your laptop down by blowing air onto the motherboard.
Why Is My Laptop Fan So Loud?
Excess heat is sometimes generated, especially when you are implementing heavy processes on your laptop. That leads to overheating, so your fan would run at maximum capacity to compensate for this. You might notice that your fan gets a lot quieter if no heavy operations are running in the background.
Can I Turn the Fan off Safely?
The methods and steps we have provided above can help you turn your laptop’s fan off safely. However, you should remember that overheating poses a severe risk to your computer if it stays off for too long. Turn your fan back on if you feel like your laptop is getting too hot.
How Long Can I Leave the Fan Off?
Not very long. Your computer can get very hot quickly if you are using designing software or a digital audio workstation. Please keep checking the underside of your laptop to see how hot it is. You should turn your fan on immediately if it gets too hot to touch. Otherwise, the components might melt.