Toshiba laptops are pretty cool and are some rare laptops to have. They’re not so common so you might not get familiar with things easily, unlike other laptops. And with those “things”, there are certain functions, like literally ‘function’ or ‘Fn’ that can be sometimes confusing. That confusion lies with getting it disabled.
Anyhow, before diving right into the function key, let me guide you through what actually the function key is. The function key or the ‘Fn’ key controls all the secondary actions that the top row of your keyboard can perform. That top row consists of all the keys- from F1 to F12.
You will probably be able to see smaller images/symbols of certain objects on that top row. These objects can be a calculator, browser, speaker, etc. But the problem is that you might not be able to access them by directly pressing those keys. However, you can only use them by pressing and holding the function key along with it.
But there is another situation where you might not access those functions even after pressing the function key. It might seem trouble for you but as you struggled to find its solution, you have reached the right article where I’ll explain how to put your function key back in action!
How to Enable Function Keys On Toshiba Laptop?
So as you know that the function key or the Fn key has its own speciality that enables the top row button to perform its hidden features. However, it can drop its functioning ability and maybe stop working. It may result in the key not switching on/off upon the press.
However, if that is the case with your Toshiba laptop as well, you might consider following these steps:
First of all, head towards the ‘Start’ program on your desktop and click on ‘All Programs. Now there, click on ‘Toshiba’.
Now under the Toshiba Heading, click on the ‘Utilities’ option and then the ‘Accessibility option.
Now inside the Accessibility folder, you can determine whether the Fn key is enabled or not. So when you’re in the Accessibility folder, check the box that enables the Fn key. You can also customize the choice of how you want your keyboard’s shortcuts to work. For example, you can set the preference that either you want the shortcuts to perform while holding or pressing the Fn key. When done, you can save your set of choices.
Now when you now make sure that the Fn key is enabled from the settings, you can perform the test by actually accessing those shortcuts via the function key. To do so, press the ‘Fn’ and ‘Esc’ key at the same time. By doing so, you will see that a small icon, indicating volume, will appear on the screen. That icon display will turn the volume on or off.
Now just in case when you follow the procedure of Step 4, you might not end up turning the volume on or off. In other words, it might not function the way you expected. In that case, press the ‘Fn’ and ‘Num Lock’ keys at the same time. However, if the Num Lock key in your Toshiba laptop is missing, you can use the F11 as its alternative. Now, follow step 4 again to check the Fn key again.
Now, the function key in your Toshiba laptop must be working like a charm. With all its functions and operations running as good as you expect.
However, if your Toshiba laptop’s function key is still not working despite the following steps mentioned above, it is most likely that your laptop has some hardware issue. And it is advised to get your laptop checked by a professional laptop technician.
So as you can now successfully toggle the function key in your Toshiba laptop, there are certain other features that you can unravel in your Toshiba laptop related to the function key.
How to Switch between Normal Keys and Functional Keys?
By far you know that the top row of the keyboard of your Toshiba laptop works in two ways. One can be its standard F1 to F12 use while the other can be its shortcut use i.e. Calculator, Volume Control, etc.
So apparently, it is now on your end how you want your top keys to function. Whether you want them on standard mode or in shortcut mode. And for that, you can use a program called Toshiba HW Setup Utility. This program will support your choice of whether you want to use those keys as their standard version or shortcut version.
Upon finalizing your decision, you can save those changes and exit the program. However, this option might not be available in some Toshiba models as those laptops may not support such an option.
How to Disable the Function keys of your Toshiba laptop.
Just about how to enable the function keys, there is a way to disable them as well. You can go for this option just in case you do not want the shortcuts in your keyboard’s top row.
So in order to disable the function key, you can disable it from the Advanced BIOS settings. And the steps you have to follow are as follows:
- Head towards the BIOS menu option
- Now in order to access the BIOS menu, repeatedly press the F2 key while restarting your Toshiba laptop. You’ll be redirected to that menu right after your laptop restarts.
- Upon exploring the BIOS menu, reach out for the ‘System Configuration’ tab.
- Under the System Configuration tab, head towards ‘Action Key Mode’.
- Now click enter to disable the ‘Fn’ key.
- Now in order to save your preferences, press the F10 key.
- And when all is done, restart your laptop to apply the new settings.
Function Keys on your Toshiba laptop stops working on Windows 10
Now, this is another big concern that the top row keys or the function keys stop working entirely when you upgrade your laptop to Windows 10. This issue is quite common and can be settled if you follow the steps mentioned below.
- Use the search bar located at the bottom of the screen.
- When you will click on it, you will see a blinking cursor. There, type ‘Update and Security.
- Now select the Troubleshoot option.
- Now go for the Hardware and Devices Option
- Now, wait as the program runs in the background while you see the progress bar.
- Now repair the fault if there is any.
- This all process will lead you to a working set of Function keys.
- How to enable the function keys in a Toshiba laptop that has windows 10?
For a Toshiba laptop that has a windows 10 operating system, press the Fn and Esc keys at the same time. This will make a small speaker icon appear on the windows screen. From there, you can check whether your function key is responding to the sound shortcut or not. If it doesn’t respond, it means that you have to run the troubleshooting to identify the problem.
- What if the function keys are not working even after running the troubleshooting program?
If the function keys are still not working, despite the fact that you ran a troubleshoot on the problem, it might be a case that the fault lies within the hardware. If that is the case, it is advised that you get your Toshiba laptop checked by a certified and professional Toshiba technician.
- What functions are assigned to the function keys located at the top of the keyboard of the Toshiba laptop?
The following set of functions are assigned to the top row of the Toshiba laptop keyboard.
- Press Fn + Esc to either mute or unmute the speakers of your Toshiba laptop.
- Press Fn + F1 to lock your Toshiba laptop. So if you lock your laptop, only the person who has the password of the laptop will be able to access it.
- Press Fn + F2 to check out all the power saving options you got for your Toshiba laptop. For instance, you can stop a particular drive from working just to save power consumption.
- Press Fn + F3 to activate the instant standby mode. This mode helps your laptop to power itself down to save boot time. Also, it can help your laptop to survive on its battery for around 25-30 hours.
- Press Fn + F4 to let your Toshiba laptop go into hibernation mode. This function also limits the laptop’s functionality. Hence, make it quite alike to the instant standby mode. The only difference is that it makes the laptop stand on its own for 26 hours. Also, it makes the laptop take longer at its boot time.
- Press Fn + F5 to go through all the display options of your Toshiba laptop.
- Press Fn + F6 to change the brightness level of your Toshiba laptop. This particular function will help you decrease the brightness level of the screen.
- Press Fn + F7 to change the brightness level of your Toshiba laptop as well. However, this particular function will help you increase the brightness level of the screen.
- Press Fn + F8 to switch the connectivity mode of your Toshiba laptop. The available option of switching is either you go for Bluetooth or Wi-Fi.
- Press Fn + F9 to disable the mouse pad of your Toshiba laptop. However, it can be enabled once you toggle Fn + F9 back again.
- Press Fn + F10 to disable the arrow pad. And the same function goes for this as well. You can enable it once again by pressing Fn + F10 again.
- Press Fn + F11 to disable the mouse number pad. Press it again to re-enable it.
- Press Fn + F12 to zoom in on the screen of your Toshiba laptop. Press it again to zoom out.
- Press FN + Spacebar to alter the resolution of the screen of your Toshiba laptop. You can cycle through the available resolutions whenever you will press this combination.
After reading this article, I’m sure that you will be able to resolve the issue that you’re facing with the function keys of your Toshiba Laptop. As these function keys play a very vital role in our time behind the screen, it is best to utilize them properly.
As there are numerous attempts to press different keys while following this guide, there might be a chance that your Toshiba laptop’s key might fall off in all this procedure. It is a common thing and might happen with you as well. So in order to fix that issue and reattach the key that just fell off, read a detailed article by clicking here.
After reading this article, not only your own laptop, you will be able to help your friends, family, and anyone who is facing the same problem.